Friday 18 October 2019

One Month In As A Student

Well it has certainly been a very interesting month with ups and downs and some stressfull moments.

I have spent quite a lot of time re-arranging life. What I thought would be easy has turned out to be testing.

The photography part has been the easy bit, the rearranging life has been complicated but it is all working out to plan.

My impatient side has emerged but I now have a new staff member to take over some work and one in the wings waiting to start so that I can free up time to work on my Uni work.

I had some difficult news learning that my sister has cancer which was difficult enough, but to learn that she has had it for a while and been through Chemotherapy and not told anyone, was the hard part.

My son has been slightly difficult because he has found the changes difficult, not being the full focus of my attention and doing something for myself has made him feel insecure and brought out attention seeking behaviour that I never expected.

But my photography skills in just one month have started to emerge into something that I never expected so soon. I actually like some of the work I have been turning out. Not just the actual photos but the way I take the photos. Some of the photos I have taken, in fact the majority of the photos are actually pretty awful and make me chuckle but I can see the errors and I am learning from them and growing.

I have become more bold and unafraid to explore and have learnt to look at things in a different way, thinking outside the box and looking at life through a lens in a more surreal way.

My favourite project so far has been the abstract architecture and composition.






 Why these two?.. I hear you ask... well quite simply because I found them very challenging and they have also introduced me to photoshop.

The composition task has been the hardest for me, although I understand each concept and know what needs to be done, doing it is quite complicated when you are also learning to use the camera.

My life is lived through a lens these days so much so that I have already started to capture friends living their lives.


Our Mossley Hollins Brass Band 50 Year Reunion



Down the park.



















At a friends photography showcase










I have also discovered that I love to shoot in black and white. 

My biggest challenge has been trying to keep my work organised and all the photos and files in a legible way, that I am finding extremely challenging and something I have to work on and pretty quickly. The amount of photographs I am taking requires an organised mind and at the moment I do not feel I am meeting the grade and am finding file keeping pretty stressful.

Technology is not being too helpful and is making things more complicated with the different backup options I have to keep on top of, learning to label and ensure they are placed in the correct files is mind bending at the moment, but I am working on it and will get there with persistence.

I feel I am slightly behind and need to focus more on the task at hand, with lots of projects on the go and not being fast enough with my write ups and having lots of photographs to decide what to do with, but it is all a learning curve.

I am still orienteering myself to University life and I am trying not to be too hard on myself, once I have found my feet I will be fine, the pace is fast and the course is demanding but I am learning so fast that I have shocked myself, but I need to make sure that I keep up and do not get any more lost.

I appreciate the tutors guidance and really like both of them, they have a way of inspiring and they never tell me to shut up when I start to go on with myself, but I am sure they will once they get to know me. The facebook group we have is an excellent focal point, with inspiring photography posts and competitions to enter that are encouraging and I am determined to get good enough to enter some at some point in the future. 

The other students are all good, one in particular is already an amasing photographer and he is intimidating with his talent, I have learnt a lot from him, it's so nice being able to talk lenses with someone and not feel like you are in the conversation alone.

So all in all, so far it's all good!..





No comments:

Post a Comment

TEDx Oldham 21/11/19

I was very fortunate to be invited to cover the photography at the Enterprise Trust TEDx Oldham event at the Oldham University Campu...